Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Lunchbox Makeover: Greek Cous Cous Salad

Soggy bread with cold cuts, wilted lettuce, and a slice of cheese. How often is this not-so-appetizing lunch awaiting you at noon?

I say, too often. It is nasty and unsatisfying. It is a gateway to endless afternoon snacking and a grumbling tummy come dinner.

Because I have not yet perfected the homemade, brown-bagged sandwich, I'll often scoot down to the cafeteria in my office and pay too much money for a meal that is chock full of empty carbs and who knows what. This is a waste of money and a waste of calories, I know. But what else am I to do?

Well, I decided it was time to be more aware of my lunch choices and to get creative with my lunchbox. It was then that I started thinking of salads and how I could make a salad fill me until dinner.

I am totally obsessed with Greek salad. Feta cheese, cucumbers, red onions, tomatoes....so many of my favorite things! Using this classic as my base, I pumped it up with some whole wheat cous cous and a homemade dressing. I have to say, this will definitely be a repeat contender for lunch time bliss!

Makeover your lunchbox with my Greek Cous Cous Salad with a Garlic Hummus Balsamic Vinaigrette!

Here's what you need:

1 cucumber
1/2 red onion
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1/2 red bell pepper
1 box whole wheat cous cous, cooked according to the package
1/2 cup feta or parmesan cheese
salt and cracked black pepper
Garlic Hummus Balsamic Vinaigrette (recipe here!)

Here's what you do (so easy!):

While your cous cous cools, finely dice your cucumber, red onion, and red bell pepper.
Half or quarter the cherry tomatoes.
Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.


Top with cous cous, dressing and cheese.


Stir well and enjoy!


These measurements will make two lunch-sized portions of this salad. It is refreshing and light, but also filling and flavorful! The perfect summer salad.

Do you have a go-to lunch that keeps you full and satisfied all day long? What was your inspiration?

1 comment:

  1. I eat a salad of mixed greens with Parmesan cheese, carrots, and cucumbers, plus a can of tuna with mustard (go figure) for protein.

    ReplyDelete