Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Blackberry Mint Juleps



Party time!


I made us a cocktail! I don't make very many cocktails on this here bloggy. I'm not very clever with my beverage consumption plus...I just love wine so much. It makes sense to me. It's safe.


But this space is about trying new things! Stepping outside our comfort zone! (Do I sound like a really tacky corporate training video? I'm sorry. Please bring me a Blackberry Mint Julep and I'll be quiet).


These cocktails are simple but fun. I absolutely love blackberry and mint together, so adding a homemade blackberry simple syrup and some muddled fresh blackberries into an already wonderfully delicious mint julep just made sense!


I am using a lot of exclamation points in this post, but I do hope you'll take me seriously. This drink is really too good to pass up. Sweet blackberries, fresh mint, spicy bourbon and a little seltzer for effervescence...perfectly composed and interesting on the palette.


P.S. Should I be worried about my cat? He LOVES watching me make adult beverages. I hope he isn't sneaking sips from my bar cart while I'm at work...


Here's what you need for Blackberry Mint Juleps* (Print Recipe!)

for the blackberry simple syrup
1 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
1 pint fresh blackberries (I think frozen would also work fine)
for the mint juleps (serves 2)
10 mint leaves, plus more for garnish
6 fresh blackberries
4 ounces bourbon
2 ounces blackberry simple syrup
seltzer or club soda
ice

Here's what you do

for the blackberry simple syrup
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes until the blackberries have released their juices and the syrup has thickened slightly. Strain through a fine mesh strainer, using a wooden spoon to press out all the juices. Place in the fridge until ready to use. Syrup will keep for about 2 weeks in the fridge. Use in any beverage or pour over waffles!

for the mint juleps 
Evenly divide the mint leaves and blackberries into the bottom of two old fashioned glasses. Muddle until the blackberries are mashed and you can smell the minty oils from the leaves. Add 2 ounces of bourbon and 1 ounce of the syrup to each glass. Stir to combine. Add a big handful of ice to each and finish off with a few glugs of seltzer. Garnish with an additional sprig of mint and enjoy.




*Gas Stove Girl Original Recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment