Thursday, March 21, 2013

Winter's Wrath

Is it just me or can winter just not quit it this year? I'm still wearing my down coat, and for the past two days I've had to wear my intense snow boots. Today is the official first day of spring but winter is just holding on for dear life, spraying every last bit of frozen and powdery snow upon us.

I'm really angry with winter right now.

I have been crazy busy this week with work and appointments and presentations. That's why I've been a little MIA in the blog-o-sphere recently...I apologize for that. I even made Irish Soda Bread for St. Patty's day but was too much of an airhead to properly document that process. UGH. There's always next year.

In the spirit of being cold, this is a perfect time to remind everyone that there is a wealth of heartwarming soups here on Gas Stove Girl that are sure to ease winter's continued  chill. Here is a wrap up of some of my favorites. If you have snow in your forecast again (BOSTON DOES GRR!) this is the perfect opportunity to make one of this flavorful dishes.


If you love Panera's broccoli cheddar soup, this Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe hits all the right notes. I'm talking two different cheddar cheeses, loads of broccoli, and shredded carrots. Add in a crusty bread or go all the way and put this in a bread bowl for the ultimate soup-eating experience.


Chicken Tortilla Soup is so hip these days, and this recipe is the best one I've ever tried. Packed with bold flavors and hearty vegetables and topped with smooth avocado and homemade corn tortilla strips. I can't wait to get my hands on another pot of this.


Sweet Potato Lentil Soup is a wild and crazy idea that turns out to be the ultimate combination of sweet and spicy goodness. Plus it is packed with all sorts of great nutrients from our good friend, sweet potato, and our other good friend, lentil.


Tender beef and a rich tomato base takes this Beef Barley Stoup to the next level. I stole the term "stoup" from Rachel Ray, who describes it as a combination of a stew and a soup. This dish is so rich, and thick, and hearty that the term "stoup" fit in seamlessly.


Potage Parmentier, or Potato Leek Soup is a classic comfort food that begs for a delicious french baguette for dipping. This soup is elegant enough to entertain, and yummy enough to feed to a ravenous family of 4. It is the epitome of Julia Child in a pot -- what could be wrong with that?

Enjoy these delicious soups -- I hope they warm you up like a snuggie! I will be back soon with some fun new recipes I think you'll love!

No comments:

Post a Comment