Thursday, August 18, 2016

Mixed Berry Red Wine Popsicles


It's Fri-YAY so I made red wine popsicles!!


Specifically, I made Mixed Berry Red Wine Popsicles to help us beat the mid-August heat.

P.S. Can I just say, real quick, how much I hate summer? I did a complete switch sometime after graduating college and now I simply cannot stand it. It no longer has the carefree, "school's out" joy surrounding it. I hate being hot, and sweaty, and uncomfortable, and dehydrated all the dang time! Enough! Give me cold weather now I say!!


At the risk of sounding dramatic, let's just talk about these popsicles. An adult spin on a childhood classic. No matter the flavor, popsicles have a way of brightening your day. Plus they can offer us a fleeting minute or two of chilly comfort in the late summer humidity.


Now, I made these popsicles with the intent of them really tasting like red wine, with just a hint of berries and orange juice in the background to give them a sort of sangria-like flare. Because of this there is more wine than other liquids in the popsicles, and--although they do indeed freeze solid--the melt time on these bad boys is preeetty quick. No worries though, just enjoy them with a small plate or cup underneath to catch any drips!


Dessert and drinks all in one? I'd say we are doing something right this summer.


Here's what you need for Mixed Berry Red Wine Popsicles* (Print Recipe!)

1 cup frozen mixed berries
1 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups red wine (something you like to drink, I used Cabernet Sauvignon)
popsicle mold and sticks

Here's what you do

Combine the berries, juice, and sugar in a blender. Blend on high until smooth. Stir in the wine. If desired, though certainly not necessary, strain the mixture to remove seeds. I kept them in for this batch. Pour the mixture into popsicle molds, leaving about 1/4 inch from the top of the mold. Stick in the popsicle sticks and freeze for 6 hours up to overnight. Because these don't freeze too solid, you should be able to easily lift them out of the molds when ready to serve. If not, run the bottom of the mold under warm water for 15 seconds until they come free. Enjoy at once.




*Gas Stove Girl Original Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment