Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Salami and Arugula Breakfast Quesadillas


I just took breakfast to a whole new level.


This is like a cheese plate all wrapped up crunchy, gooey, quesadilla. My first bite sent me into wonderful breakfast bliss and all my troubles faded away.


Melty cheddar cheese, salty cured salami, crisp peppery arugula and perfectly scrambled eggs--oh this is what dreams are made of. I'm not kidding. This is a breakfast dressed to impress.


I am so obsessed with quesadillas that if I can have one for breakfast, lunch, brunch and dinner, I will. I love the crunch of the tortillas and the smooth blanket of cheese. And let's not forget the bells and whistles--that is, the garnish. For me, my knees go week for cool, creamy sour cream and spicy salsa. If guacamole and chopped cilantro make your skirt fly up, they would be just perfect as well.


Now, I know there is some controversy over the best way to cook a quesadilla. Do you get a big tortilla, burrito size, fill one side with the good stuff and fold the other half over? Or do you get a smaller, 10-inch tortilla and top it with a second tortilla? I have tried both, but for this particular dish, I used the smaller, sandwich technique. I find it easier to flip this way.

Whatever way you flip, this a breakfast that will start each and every day on the right foot.

P.S. Quesadillas, previously: BBQ Chicken


Here's what you need for Salami and Arugula Breakfast Quesadillas* (Print Recipe!)

4 eggs, beaten with 1 tablespoon milk
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
4 10-inch flour tortillas
1/2 cup freshly grated sharp white cheddar cheese
2 ounces cured salami, sliced as thin as possible
1/2 cup baby arugula
cooking spray

Here's what you do

In a small skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter with 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-low heat. Pour in the beaten eggs and season with salt, pepper, and the Italian seasoning. Scramble over low heat, stirring constantly to prevent sticking. When the eggs are just set, remove from the heat and set aside.

Spray a large, flat skillet with cooking spray and warm over medium heat. Spray one side of a flour tortilla with the spray as well and place down on the skillet. Top with a bit of the cheese, then some salami, half of the scrambled egg mixture, a small handful of arugula and more cheese. Place another tortilla on top and spray with a little more cooking spray. Use a spatula to press down the quesadilla and cook for about 2 minutes.

Carefully flip the quesadilla and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more on the opposite side until golden brown. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly. Cook the second quesadilla in the same way. Cut into 4's then top with desired garnishes. Serve immediately.




*Gas Stove Girl original recipe 

No comments:

Post a Comment