Friday, May 9, 2014

Marinated Feta and Avocado Salad


We need to talk briefly but seriously about this salad right here. This is my current obsession, as in, eating it morning, noon, and night.


This lovely is no brain child of my own. I must give credit where credit is due. So, a million thank you's to Union Street Grill and Patio in Newton, MA. Union is one of our favorite date spots--not only do they have the most BANGIN' outdoor patio in the greater Boston area, but their cocktail selections are fun and original (think Sangria Rita which is absolutely a margarita with a float of sangria) and the food--so, so good.


When I saw this Marinated Feta and Avocado Salad on the menu, I was hooked. It perfectly suited my avocado obsession as well as my general obsession with all things feta cheese. Feta everything.


I tried to eat this salad like a lady. But somehow it inevitably led to me shoveling forkful after forkful in my mouth. The creamy avocado, the tangy and crumbly feta, a perfectly sweet and sour citrus vinaigrette, and an irresistible crunch from pistachios--this is what salad dreams are made of.


Ever since this date night, I've been thinking about this salad and how I knew I could satisfy my craving for another heaping plateful at home. And so, here it is. A recreation of that same Union Street dish that is so close to the original I cannot help but urge you to give it a try. Let's do this.



Here's what you need for Marinated Feta and Avocado Salad* (Print Recipe!)

For the salad
8 ounces mixed greens
1/2 cup marinated feta (I bought some from my Whole Foods but you can easily make it)
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 avocado, halved and sliced
1/3 cup shelled pistachios

For the citrus vinaigrette (makes more than you need--store in a jar in the fridge)
1 small shallot, diced fine
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
salt and black pepper to taste

Here's what you do

Combined the mixed greens, feta, and white beans in a bowl. Prepare the citrus vinaigrette by combining all ingredients in a mason jar. Cover the jar and shake vigorously until fully incorporated. Drizzle a few tablespoons on the salad mixture and toss to coat.

Distribute the greens onto two plates. Top each plate with 1/2 the avocado and a few tablespoons of the pistachios. Serve with additional dressing on the side to taste.

Salad is best enjoyed the day it is made. If you are planning to take it to lunch, do not dress the greens ahead of time. Keep the pistachios separate until just before serving and slice the avocado just before serving as well (to prevent browning).




*Gas Stove Girl original, inspired by Union Street  Bar and Grill. Citrus vinaigrette from Bon Appetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment