Monday, October 21, 2013

Cheddar, Apple, Bacon Grilled Cheese


Has everyone gone apple picking this year? We went a couple of weekends ago and we are STILL working on our peck of Macintosh and Cortland apples.


I've literally been eating an apple a day. Last week, I had two in one day. So many apples.


I made a cinnamon sugar apple cake that was just BANANAS good (or...apples good?) and I thought "Oh, apple cake? This is going to use up a whole bunch of apples and we won't have to worry about any of them going bad!"


Want to know how many apples that took? Two. Two medium apples. Not even the biggest in our peck. Ugh, ok. Time to get creative.


When I was younger, I always remember my dad putting a slice of cheese on his apple pie and shielding my eyes from the terror. It always struck me as the weirdest thing in the world, because obviously apple pie should be eaten with ICE CREAM, not cheese. Wrong dairy, pops.

Turns out my dad may have been onto something. Salty and sweet is a flavor combination that makes my knees go weak.


Here's an incredible lunch idea that is going to use up some of those extra apples and also make your taste buds sing. Cheddar, Apple, and Bacon Grilled Cheese is everything that is right in this world. Ooey, gooey white cheddar, crunchy bacon, crispy apples all sandwiched between two beautifully golden brown pieces of bread. It's your childhood lunchbox, elevated to the next level.

I recommend an apple that has some tart notes to its flavor but is still softly sweet. Nice and crisp, but with a tender skin. I mentioned how we have MacIntosh and Cortland apples -- these are great, and honey crisp apples would also work beautifully. Surely a Granny Smith apple would be OK, but I almost think it's TOO tart for this sammy.


I also slather some Sweet Potato Mustard onto these outrageously delicious sandwiches. This is a shameless plug for my friends over at Green Mountain Mustard who make delicious gourmet mustards out of Vermont. The sweet potato mustard is out of this world--I put it on everything! You can order online, but if you don't have this mustard, a good dijon will do the trick!


I have a feeling I will be buying more apples at the store once we have made it through our first bundle JUST so I can have more of these amazing grilled cheese sandwiches! Recipe below will make 2 sandwiches.

Here's what you need for Cheddar, Apple, Bacon Grilled Cheese* (Print Recipe!)

4 slices whole wheat bread
2 tablespoons or so unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons Sweet Potato Mustard or Dijon Mustard (such as Grey Poupon)
4 thick slices sharp white cheddar cheese
1 MacIntosh, Cortland, or Honey Crisp Apple, sliced thin
4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp

Here's what you do

Butter one side of each piece of bread with about 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Spread about 1/2 tablespoon of mustard onto the other side on the bread.

On the sides spread with mustard on two pieces of bread, add a piece of white cheddar cheese. Layer a few slices of the apple down on top of the cheese. Next, add two pieces of bacon to each and top with another slice of cheese. Top with the non-buttered side of another slice of bread.

Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Place the sandwiches down onto the hot pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Flip and repeat with the other side and cook until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted. Slice each sandwich in half and enjoy!




*Gas Stove Girl Original Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment