Monday, May 6, 2013

Pork Lo Mein



Hi guys!


Did you miss me? I missed you a lot, too. I'm so happy to be back to blogging on a more regular schedule (starting today, that is); I have lots of yummy things ready to come your way in the next few weeks!


Also, in my absence, I missed a totally huge landmark--Gas Stove Girl surpassed 10,000 page views! I can't even believe it. I am so thankful for my readers, new and old, and I hope I can keep everyone coming back for more. Seriously, I love cooking, I love writing, and I love you guys. A great match made in heaven!


The recipe I have to share with you today was a super fast and super tasty weeknight dinner that I needed to make in a flash. Stir fries are the perfect solution to that problem. The key is to cook everything quickly at a high temperature and use lots of great flavors and textures for a well-rounded plate.



This Pork Lo Mein is tangy and crunchy. I packed it with tons of veggies and finished it with a thick pan sauce that coats the noodles in tons of tasty goodness. Boneless pork was my protein of choice, but this would be great with chicken, steak, or shrimp. Take-out has nothing on this dish!


Cory and I are so obsessed with these baby corns. Whenever I make a stir fry, I make sure to pick up a can of these. They are crunchy and sweet and there's just nothing like them.


By the way, if you haven't stumbled upon these Chinese-style noodles in your supermarket, you need to find them! They live in the produce section along with wonton wrappers and egg roll wraps. They are so fun to cook with and cook up in 3 minutes (that's right...THREE!).


I practically inhaled this dinner. For something so flavorful, you'd never guess it took less than 30 minutes to make. And unlike take out, you know exactly what you're putting into this dinner. It's like Ramen noodles, all grown up!



Here's what you need for Pork Lo Mein (Print Recipe!)

1 pound boneless pork, cut into thin strips
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 can chopped baby corn, drained and rinsed
1 cup celery, sliced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup carrots, shaved (using a potato peeler)
1/2 cup green onions, chopped into 1 inch pieces
1 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons corn starch
1 package chinese style noodles, cooked according to package directions

Here's what you do

Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet or wok. Add the pork and stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes until just cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.

Add the baby corns and cook for 1 minute until slightly browned. Add the celery, mushrooms, and carrots and cook until veggies become just tender, another 2 to 3 minutes. Toss in the green onions. 

Add in 1 1/4 cups of the beef broth and the soy sauce. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Whisk the remaining beef broth with the corn starch and stir into the pan. Cook on low until the sauce is thick and bubbly.

Return the pork to the pan along with the noodles, tossing to coat. Serve in big bowls and garnish with scallions.


No comments:

Post a Comment