Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sunday Morning Oatmeal

In my hometown, there are 4 or 5 different diners all within a 10 minute drive. I cannot say why there are so many diners. Perhaps Long Islanders just really LOVE their breakfasts? I'd buy that.

We went to this one diner for a big breakfast on Mother's Day a few years back. I remember having this outrageously amazing waffle...it was a whole wheat waffle (and therefore, of course, completely healthy and guilt free...). The waffle was topped with strawberries, bananas, walnuts, and maple syrup. Amazing,

I was thinking about this waffle recently. I do not know why this waffle randomly popped up in my brain. I think about food a lot...it's a whole thing.

I don't have a waffle maker, but I knew I wanted something filling and delicious this morning for breakfast.

I left out the waffle part of this strawberry-banana-walnut waffle...and then I made oatmeal.

It's genius, really. Oatmeal is the perfect breakfast blank canvas. It's a bit more nutritious than a waffle. But with the right toppings, it was just as delicious.


I'm calling this "Sunday Morning Oatmeal." First, because I made it on Sunday morning. And second, because it was the perfect compliment to a cup of coffee and good book on the porch--something that I try to enjoy every Sunday.
 

Here's what you need for Sunday Morning Oatmeal (yields 2 bowls):

1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (I'd imagine you could also use steal-cut oats if that's what's in your cabinet)
1 3/4 water
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1 banana, sliced
1/4 cup walnuts
2 teaspoons light brown sugar, divided
1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided

Here's what you do:

In a small saucepan or frying pan, toast the walnuts over low heat, about 1 minute (pan should be dry).


In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the salt and stir in the oats. Reduce heat to medium and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Ladle 1 scoop of the oats into each bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of brown sugar to each and top with another scoop of oatmeal (this will allow the brown sugar to melt and sweeten up the entire bowl!)
Add 1/2 of the sliced banana to each bowl and sprinkle with about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
Add the strawberries and sprinkle the toasted walnuts on top.


This breakfast comes together in a flash, and I am STILL filling full and satisfied. I love the flavor combination of soft bananas and tart strawberries. Plus, if you sweeten up anything with brown sugar and cinnamon, I guarantee it will be tasty and delicious.

If you prefer maple syrup in your oatmeal, just replace the bs&c with 1 teaspoon of syrup.

What toppings do you like in your oatmeal?

No comments:

Post a Comment