Monday, June 11, 2012

Slow Cooker Pot Roast Dinner

Last Christmas, I was spoiled. My mom knew I had started to get more creative in the kitchen and rewarded me heartily on Christmas morning. A fresh cheese grater, a blender/food processor combo, a Keurig machine—JACKPOT! She must have spread the word, because later that day my aunt, uncle, and cousins gifted me with a Crock Pot.

The Crock Pot – otherwise known as God’s gift to the working women who long for a hearty, rich meal on weeknights. Also known as God’s gift to the world.

I digress…

Basically, along with all my other new kitchen gadgets, I LOVE my crock pot. There are so many things you can do with it and the options are seemingly endless. Plus, most importantly, all the cooking is done while you’re at work (or out shopping or vegging on couch). Most crock pot recipes also tend to leave me and the BF with plenty of leftovers (another dream for the 9 to 5 folk out there). I made pulled pork a few months ago and let me just say that we had two full Tupper Wares of leftovers that week.

So: days of leftovers, hearty meals, zero cooking after work. The makers of the slow-cooker really caught lightning in a bottle with this one.

I wanted to try something new this week with my beloved Crock Pot. I was watching a re-run of The Pioneer Woman (another Food Network program, of course) and she was cooking up a most delicious-looking Pot Roast. I knew some fellow foodies out there must have thought up some killer Crock Pot Pot Roasts (say that 5 times fast) and so to Google I went.

I embodied some of the basics in the recipe below. When all was said and done, a juicy, tender pot roast with flavorful veggies and a rich gravy awaited my fork and knife.

 
Here’s what you need for my Slow Cooker Pot Roast Dinner:

A 2 to 3 pound pot roast
3 to 4 medium red potatoes (to me, pot roast calls for red potatoes. Feel free to use whatever potato you desire)
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
1 package dry onion soup mix
1 cup water
2 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup (I used Cambell’s Healthy Choice)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

Here’s what you do:

Prepare veggies as instructed, and dice the red potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper.
Place the pot roast into the slow cooker.
Add the veggies and potatoes to the slow cooker.


Add the soup, water, Worcestershire , and onion mix. Stir well to combine and ensure the pot roast is fully coated in the liquid elements. If you feel there is not enough water to account for all the veggies and meat, rinse out your soup cans with about a 1/4 can of water. 


Turn the slow-cooker on low and let it cook for 8 hours.
 Before serving, stir well.
Remove the roast from the crock pot and slice with a sharp knife (it's very tender at this point, so be sure to slice against the grain!)


Use a serving spoon to top the roast with the delicious gravy and the vegetables swimming in it!


If you do choose to prepare this during a workday, try cutting up your veggies the night before. This will make it so that all you need to do in the morning is add everything to the pot.Also, if you have a larger crock pot, you may want to find a larger roast and add another potato carrot to extend the serving size! I'd say this would serve about 4.

What is your favorite meal to cook up in your Crock Pot or slow cooker?

No comments:

Post a Comment